EurActiv Logo
EU news & policy debates
- across languages -
Click here for EU news »
EurActiv.com Network

BROWSE ALL SECTIONS

Romania's Ponta 'very angry' at horsemeat fraud allegations

Printer-friendly version
Send by email
Published 11 February 2013

The Romanian prime minister said on Monday (11 February) that any fraud over horsemeat sold as beef had not happened in his country and he was angered by suggestions it might have been.

The French and British governments have vowed to punish those found responsible for allowing horsemeat originating from Romania to be sold as beef.

The British unit of frozen foods group Findus began recalling its beef lasagne last week on advice from its French supplier, Comigel, which said the questionable meat came from Romania.

"From all the data we have at the moment, there is no breach of European rules committed by companies from Romania or on Romanian territory," Prime Minister Victor Ponta told a news conference. "I am very angry, to be honest."

An initial French investigation revealed that the horsemeat ended up in Comigel's Luxembourg factory, supplied by a French firm, and that a Dutch and Cypriot trader had also been involved. However, the meat originally came from a Romanian abattoir.

Romania exports €10-12 million of horse meat a year, the Ziarul Financiar daily said, quoting agriculture ministry data, and authorities had investigated two unnamed abattoirs to check on their possible involvement.

"It is very clear that the French company did not have any direct contract with the Romanian company and ... it has to be established where the fraud was committed and who is responsible for this fraud," Ponta said.

Horse and carts remain a common means of transport in the Romanian countryside and some can even be seen on the edges of major cities, including the capital Bucharest. When horses are too old for work, farmers often sell them to abattoirs.

EurActiv.com with Reuters

COMMENTS

  • It was about time! We have had enough of bowing our heads and accepting to be rebuked and punished at every turn for things we haven't done! If the fraud was committed on Romanian territory, then let the guilty ones to be severely punished! But if it wasn't, if Romania is used again as scapegoat for the real culprits to get away scot-free, then Victor Ponta should better ask for reparations from those who slandered again our country's name. It's enough that we got only scrapes when the EU budget was negotiated, enough that EC did what only the former USSR had done decades ago and stripped us of our sovereignty last summer! Frankly, we have had enough of this EU which seems to look more and more like the Warsaw Pact.

    By :
    Sitara
    - Posted on :
    11/02/2013
  • Poorly researched data from Romania Hungary Bulgaria and Slovakia indicates that these are the sources of these "horse meat" scandals. You can go and see these issues widely around these countries.

    By :
    Karel
    - Posted on :
    12/02/2013
  • I fail to see anything here about a "horsemeat scandal". What do I see is an "incorrectly labeled horsemeat scandal". Therefore, I will demand again of the Romanian PM to take appropriate measures if the French company has unjustly accused the Romanian abbatoirs of fraud.

    By :
    Sitara
    - Posted on :
    12/02/2013
  • The issue is not that horsemeat is produced in Romania, as this is a fully bona fide industry ruled by the EU legislation. The horse situation in Romania is completely irrelevant and is used to divert the attention from the real issue.
    The real issue is the fraudulent labeling of this meat as "beef" within the trading channel. This fraud has started outside Romania and has enriched some people in The Netherland, Cyprus, Luxembourg and France.
    It is not believable that a meat processor cannot differentiate between horse and beef meat, as apparently happened at Sanghero and Findus. Don't they have quality labs over France and Luxembourg that check the quality of the received merchandise? Sanghero, the company blaming Romania, is not at the first fraud, there were other scandals in the past.

    By :
    Dacia Felix
    - Posted on :
    13/02/2013
  • Enough is enough...To blame Romania for every mistake of yours is not a very clever thing to do...now they must apologise to all Romanians for what they said about them and also because they involved Romania in this scandal.... Finally last night was confirmed on the Uk national televisoin that it wasn't Romanian abbatoirs fault....after all of this scandal,speculation,they realised that?......such a shame...:-(...very nice and clever way to wash your dirty hands,and make the others look dirty for what you people done.

    By :
    Simone
    - Posted on :
    14/02/2013
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.

Advertising

Sponsors

Videos

Video General News

Euractiv Sidebar Video Player for use in section aware blocks.

Video Consumers Promoted

Euractiv Sidebar Video Player for use in section aware blocks.

Advertising

Advertising