Media Innovation Projects
The EurActiv family cooperates with a number of national media, and supports the transformation of the sector on two fronts: digital innovation, and better coverage of European issues.
This includes the following projects:
- Fondation EurActiv initiated the #Media4EU debate, culminating in a January 2015 conference at the European Parliament.
- This may be followed by the Innovation4Media project, led by EurActiv and the Future Media Lab, involving a number of stakeholders and media groups.
- EurActiv participates as Media Partner (speaker or moderator) in a number of media associations and their events, such as: Association of European Journalists (AEJ), European Business Press (EBP), Future Media Lab (FML) by the European Magazine Media Association (EMMA), The Dataharvest European Investigative Journalism Conference by Journalismfund.eu, LT-Innovate Summit by the Association of the Language Technology Industry, Global Editors Summit by the Global Editors Network (GEN), 'Difference Day' by iMinds on World Press Freedom Day, etc.
- the EurActiv Institute of Fondation EurActiv has three years of experience as a knowledge center on EU communication, running the EU Journalism Fellowships and the Yellow Academy plus organizing 20 policy events per year.
- For its own innovations but with open source goals, EurActiv prepares EurActory and PolicyLine. This major data journalism project is co-funded by DG CONNECT with strategic partners, initially Oracle, and coordinated by Intrasoft. Eight partners, including EurActiv are joining their forces and know-how to make the EU policy-making more transparent and more efficient.
EURACTORY – Identify relevant experts
EurActory’s beta version was presented at the European Parliament on 29 January 2015. More than 150 invitees confirmed their interest in the tool and its potential to help them become more efficient in their work.
EurActory is now up and running and counts several hundred active expert profiles, including:
- areas of expertise claimed by experts,
- integrated content from their social media accounts such as Twitter and Linkedin,
- combined with EurActiv articles and Google results about them.
A new functionality will soon be added to EurActory allowing the evaluation of those claimed areas of expertise. This ranking will help users identify the relevant experts per policy topic.
The Beta version of EurActory can be accessed on euractory.eucommunity.eu
POLICYLINE – Visualise key documents
The development of PolicyLine has started a few weeks ago. This data journalism tool will allow users, including investigative journalists, to connect documents, better understand policies and follow their development. The first "PolicyLine" will be released before the COP21 conference in Paris with a focus on the Energy Efficiency Targets. Further policy topics will follow including Entrepreneurship & Innovation and Future of EU. PolicyLine is the first brick of a large Media Innovation program including semi-automated curation, human-assisted translation and syndication to and from media partners.
Energy Union, clarify the Energy Efficiency Targets debate
Energy Union has a particular focus on the ‘Next climate and energy package’, often referred to as the ‘2030 package’, such as the Green 10 (www.green10.org) and Can-Europe (www.climnet.org). The Energy Union pilot will partner with numerous relevant EU Policy Stakeholders for more efficient and transparent policy-making at EU level. The pilot project will include:
- WWF (represented by Jason Anderson) accepted to lead that pilot project.
- civil society groups, who are currently working together on Climate and Energy issues, notably the Green 10,
- national members of those civil society groups to connect with the member states,
- and the Climate Action Network (CAN) Europe with over 120 member organisations in 30 European countries.
PolicyLine will also be piloted on:
- Innovation and entrepreneurship led by the European Young Innovators Forum (EYIF).
- Future of EU, led by the European Movement International (EMI).
Accordingly, EurActiv is looking for a few strategic partners to support these major initiatives.
Supporting EU milestones creates a lasting impact
As in previous phases of strong European integration, certain organizations outside the Institutions can play a historic catalyst role. Fondation EurActiv, the media EurActiv.com and a few strategic partners can belong to such a pioneer group for the 21st century. EurActiv will work with this selected group of corporates and foundations (sector exclusivity) on a 3-year project that provides recognition as an influential stakeholder in the debate, upstream of key decisions.
To obtain more information please contact:
- David Mekkaoui, Fondation EurActiv and EU Community Director – phone: +32 (0)2 788 36 75 or by e-mail
- Diogo Pinto, Fondation EurActiv Secretary General – phone: +32 (0)2 788 36 68 or by e-mail
- Arnaud Sonnet, Public Affairs Director – phone: +32 (0)2 226 58 17 or by e-mail
- Natalie Sarkic-Todd, European Network and Projects Director – phone: +32 (0)2 788 36 63 or by e-mail
- Rick Zedník, EurActiv.com CEO – phone: +32 (0)2 226 58 12 or by e-mail
- Christophe Leclercq, EurActiv Founder – phone: +32 (0)2 226 58 13 or by e-mail