EurActiv Logo
EU news & policy debates
- across languages -
Click here for EU news »
EurActiv.com Network

BROWSE ALL SECTIONS

Greek PM rejects calls for early election

Printer-friendly version
Send by email
Published 17 June 2013

Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras yesterday (16 June) dismissed talk of an early election over the abrupt closure of the state broadcaster, which brought protests from viewers, workers, the opposition and his coalition partners.

Samaras defended his decision to close ERT and relaunch what he said would be a smaller, more efficient version as a way for Greece to show it was serious about implementing reforms and saving money under the terms of its international bailout.

But a clash between the prime minister and his two left-wing coalition partners over when and how to resume public broadcasts has raised the prospect of political turmoil, just a year after Greeks went to the polls, and the derailing of the bailout.

"If some people naively believe that they can trap us into an election dilemma, let them not tire themselves," Samaras told a gathering of his conservative New Democracy party in the seaside town of Nafplio in the Peloponnese. "Nobody wants it."

The opposition Syriza party said Samaras's decision to close ERT was "the climax of his authoritarian policy" and urged Greeks to rally in Syntagma square in Athens on Monday at 1700 GMT, where party leader Alexis Tsipras will deliver a speech.

The Communist-affiliated group PAME has also called a rally near ERT's headquarters, where workers have been gathering since its closure.

The decision to take the 75-year-old ERT off air at midnight last Tuesday has split the fragile coalition. Both junior partners have said they want to avoid a new vote, although PASOK leader Evangelos Venizelos told a Sunday newspaper he "was not afraid" of an election.

"Moves aimed to impress, in violation of basic principles of parliamentary majority, are not reforms," Venizelos said. The decision to close ERT was made by ministerial decree, meaning it could be implemented without reference to parliament.

Opinion polls show support for all three ruling parties has suffered since last year's election. No party has enough support to govern alone.

Samaras has invited his allies, who want the immediate reopening of ERT's television and radio stations, to a meeting on Monday. They have so far turned down a compromise to rehire a smaller number of staff to resume news broadcasts.

The government says ERT's three domestic television channels, regional, national and external radio stations cost Greece €300 million a year.

Many Greeks have long viewed the broadcaster as a wasteful source of patronage jobs for political parties but the abruptness with which ERT was taken off air took many by surprise. Opinion polls show a majority oppose the move.

Samaras argues shutting down ERT is the only way to restructure the broadcaster, after previous attempts at reform failed. "This is what we are changing because it's right, because it's fair and because it should have been done years ago," he said.

EurActiv.com with Reuters
Antonis Samaras
Background: 

Athens announced the surprise closure with immediate effect of the Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation (ERT) on 11 June, in a desperate move to slash public sector jobs and meet the terms of a bailout imposed by the country's three international creditors – the European Commission, the European Central Bank and the International Monetary Fund.

In a statement published the same day, the European Commission distanced itself from the closure of ERT.

More on this topic

More in this section

Advertising

Videos

Video General News

Euractiv Sidebar Video Player for use in section aware blocks.

Video General Promoted 3

Euractiv Sidebar Video Player for use in section aware blocks.

Advertising

Advertising