EurActiv Logo
Actualités & débats européens
- dans votre langue -
Click here for EU news »
EurActiv.com Réseau

TOUTES LES RUBRIQUES

Télécoms : Neelie Kroes prévoit des mesures sévères sur les prix

Version imprimable
Send by email
Publié 02 décembre 2010

La responsable européenne des télécoms, Neelie Kroes, a lancé un avertissement aux entreprises dominantes afin qu'elles baissent leurs prix pour la téléphonie et l'Internet.

"Vertically integrated network operators should not discriminate against competitors in favour of their own downstream business," Kroes told telco lobbyists at a conference in Brussels on Tuesday (30 November).

"We will crack down if some choose to mess up the playing field for others," she warned.

The commissioner has been trying to create a level playing field in the market by allowing smaller network providers to access the 'local loop' – the last stretch of wire between telephone exchanges and people's homes that are generally owned by incumbent firms.

"We are kidding ourselves if we think that non-discrimination remedies have fully eradicated discriminatory behaviour of dominant operators," Kroes, who is a former competition commissioner, continued. 

"I urge national regulators not to hesitate to take action against any company found doing this," she added.

The warning comes just one month after Telecom Italia revised its wholesale access prices from 24% to 9.4% after it received a letter from Kroes on 21 October.

Dominant firms have been reluctant to lower their prices, arguing that charging infrastructure to smaller firms is important to spur investments in next generation high-speed fibre networks.

"If the charges for copper are too low, we harm investment in fibre," an industry source explained.

ETNO, an association representing incumbent telecoms operators, said the commissioner had recognised the importance of attracting investment in fibre.

"As highlighted by Vice-President Kroes today, there is a risk that artificially reduced wholesale charges for copper networks will erode the price level on broadband markets, making fibre products less attractive to invest in," the group said in a statement.

In September, the commissioner unveiled plans to regulate access to high-speed networks, the EU executive's so-called Next Generation Networks (NGN) recommendation.

As its name indicates, the recommendation is not legally-binding. Member states are invited to follow the Commission's advice, but there is little chance of forcing a recalcitrant national regulator to implement it.

Contexte : 

As demand for the Internet rises by 50-60% annually, the EU has been trying to hatch a plan to facilitate investment in high-speed fibre networks.

Optical fibre backbones are considered the future of telecommunications infrastructure, because they allow faster and wider transmission of data than current, largely copper-based networks. Fibres are at the core of so-called 'Next Generation Networks' (NGNs).

Fibre networks have been deployed slowly across the EU so far, covering a marginal share of national markets. NGNs today only account for around one million subscribers in the EU, compared with three million in the US and 11 million in the most-developed Asian countries, primarily in Japan and South Korea.

Investment in Europe is currently low. To upgrade EU networks, at least 300 billion euros of investment will be necessary, according to estimates by McKinsey, a consulting company.

A lire aussi

More in this section

Publicité

Sponsors

Vidéos

InfoSociety News

Euractiv Sidebar Video Player for use in section aware blocks.

InfoSociety Promoted

Euractiv Sidebar Video Player for use in section aware blocks.

Publicité

Publicité