EurActiv Logo
EU news & policy debates
- across languages -
Click here for EU news »
EurActiv.com Network

BROWSE ALL SECTIONS

Sarkozy, Berlusconi to propose Schengen ‘upgrade’

Printer-friendly version
Send by email
Published 26 April 2011

Italy and France will today (26 April) discuss changing rules that scrap border checks between EU countries, as French President Nicolas Sarkozy visits Rome seeking to ease tensions over North African immigration following the Arab revolutions.

The visit, part of a regular series of meetings between the Italian and French leaders, comes amid deep differences over the issue between Paris and Rome, which have also been at odds over French takeover bids for Italian companies and policy in Libya.

A standoff at the northern Italian border town of Ventimiglia, where French gendarmes have sent back Tunisian migrants trying to cross the frontier, has been a visible symbol of growing acrimony between the two countries.

Each has accused the other of flouting the spirit of the Schengen treaty, intended to allow free movement within the European Union, as they have grappled with a wave of migrants arriving in the wake of the upheavals in North Africa this year.

Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini said there was no question of scrapping the principle of free circulation within the EU but the treaty needed a "check-up".

'All treaties grow old'

"All treaties inevitably grow old," he told the daily Il Sole 24 Ore on Sunday. "The Berlin Wall of North Africa has come down and the context in which these treaties, and I think also the Lisbon Treaty, were written has changed radically."

Officials hope that the two sides can agree joint proposals to take to Brussels that could allow border controls to be reinstated temporarily under some circumstances.

"Schengen is facing growing difficulties," a French official in Paris said. "We think we may have to go as far as [...] including a suspension clause in cases of necessity."

AFP quoted a colleague of French President Nicolas Sarkozy as calling for the Schengen pact to be upgraded.

"The governance of Schengen is failing. It seems there is a need to reflect on a mechanism that will allow, in case of a systemic failure of an external [EU] border, to intervene through a provisional suspension, until such time as the weakness is corrected," the French source said.

Italian daily La Stampa writes that Berlusconi and Sarkozy will send a joint letter to European Council President Herman Van Rompuy and Commission President José Manuel Barroso.

The letter will reportedly ask the EU to do more to contain illegal migration from North Africa, ask for solidarity within the Union, including sharing the burden of hosting immigrants, and call for checkos to be strengthened at the Schengen zone's external borders.

(EurActiv with Reuters.)

Positions: 

"The French authorities have informed the Commission that they have no intention to demand the reintroduction of border controls," Michele Cercone, a spokesman for EU Home Affairs Commissioner Cecilia Malmström, told AFP on Friday.

Malmström herself was mulling reform of the Schengen system, which she hoped to propose at the beginning of next month, the spokesman said.

Background: 

So far this year around 25,000 migrants, most from France's former colony Tunisia, have arrived in southern Italy on overloaded fishing boats. Once inside the border-free Schengen area, migrants can move freely around the 25-nation bloc.

Italy says it has been left to deal with the problems on its own. France has accused Rome of trying to escape its responsibilities by allowing illegal immigrants free transit across the border.

The Italian government adopted on7 April a decree allowing economic migrants from Tunisia to move freely throughout the Schengen area for a three-month period. Since then it has been delivering to Tunisian economic immigrants temporary permits for travel across the Schengen space. France said it could re-establish border controls.

EU Home Affairs Commissioner Cecilia Malmström said that in order to make use of its extraordinary provision, France should evoke a serious threat to public order. "But this is not the case here," she clearly stated.

Italy's Finance Minister Giulio Tremonti called on 19 April for a new revision of the EU Treaties in order to equip the European Union with updated tools to face immigration, the economic crisis and energy challenges.

More on this topic

More in this section

Advertising

Videos

EU Treaty and Institutions News

Euractiv Sidebar Video Player for use in section aware blocks.

EU Treaty and Institutions Promoted

Euractiv Sidebar Video Player for use in section aware blocks.

Advertising

Advertising