EurActiv Logo
EU news & policy debates
- across languages -
Click here for EU news »
EurActiv.com Network

BROWSE ALL SECTIONS

EU says 'progress possible' on nuclear swap deal with Iran

Printer-friendly version
Send by email
Published 17 May 2010

A Turkish-Brazilian deal to help Iran swap nuclear fuel cannot be considered a breakthrough unless it is fundamentally based on a fuel-swap proposal made by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) last year, a senior EU diplomat said today (17 May).

After talks with Brazil and Turkey, Iran announced on Monday it had struck a deal to exchange 1,200 kg of low-enriched uranium for higher-enriched nuclear fuel from abroad, which would be used in a medical research reactor.

The fuel swap would take place in Turkey, Iran said. Turkey's foreign minister, Ahmet Davutoglu, said the deal meant there was no longer any justification for further UN sanctions against Iran and its nuclear enrichment programme.

The senior EU diplomat, who is involved in efforts to rein in Iran's nuclear ambitions, said the deal would only carry weight if it was based on or fundamentally the same as a fuel-swap proposal put forward by the IAEA seven months ago and which Iran has ignored.

"If they [Iran] are accepting what was originally proposed by the IAEA back in October, then fine, some progress might be possible," the diplomat said.

"But if this is some new suggestion that goes in a different direction, then it would appear to be stalling [...] It would be quite wrong to present this as being important and a breakthrough [unless it is based on the IAEA proposal]."

Iran, Brazil and Turkey have provided few details about the deal they have signed apart from to say that the fuel swap could begin within a month, will take place in Turkey and will be under the supervision of the IAEA, a UN-backed agency.

The EU diplomat cast doubt on whether Turkey would be capable of providing Iran with the nuclear fuel rods it needs as part of the exchange - France, Russia and the United States are the chief providers of that technology.

The details of the deal must to be put to the IAEA in writing so that they can be fully assessed, he said, adding that efforts to agree a fourth round of UN sanctions on Iran's nuclear programme would continue.

Iran says its nuclear programme is solely for civilian and energy purposes, but the United States and other permanent members of the UN Security Council believe Iran has ambitions to produce a nuclear bomb and are determined to stop that.

(EurActiv with Reuters.)

Background: 

Last June, the presidential election in the Islamic republic of Iran unveiled deep societal divisions between conservatives and reformists of Mir Hossein Mousavi. 

Since then, violent demonstrations have shaken the country. During the latest protest, the government seemed readier to kill its opponents, with Teheran confirming that on 28 December 2009, 15 people were killed. One of the victims was a nephew of Mir Hossein Mousavi.

Meanwhile, the world is losing patience with Iran's nuclear programme. The West had proposed a deal whereby Iran would send uranium abroad for further enrichment to feed some of its reactors for medical purposes, but the government missed an end-2009 deadline for doing so.

By diminishing Iran's stockpile, the deal could have opened the door to confidence-building talks with the six countries trying to talk Iran out of its nuclear ambitions - the United States, Britain, France, Germany, Russia and China.

The stakes are high as the issue is a severe test of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), which is up for review this year. If Iran persistently breaks the treaty's rules with impunity, the NPT will be discredited. Harsher measures seem inevitable. There are only two options for the six countries: tougher sanctions or military action, analysts argue.

Turkey is a rotating member of the UN Security Council. On a recent visit to Paris, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan voiced scepticism over the effectiveness of any further sanctions against Iran in the dispute over its nuclear programme, saying he still supported a diplomatic solution (EurActiv 08/04/10).

More on this topic

More in this section

Advertising

Videos

Global Europe News

Euractiv Sidebar Video Player for use in section aware blocks.

Global Europe Promoted

Euractiv Sidebar Video Player for use in section aware blocks.

Advertising

Advertising