EurActiv Logo
EU news & policy debates
- across languages -
Click here for EU news »
EurActiv.com Network

BROWSE ALL SECTIONS

Google moves to end EU antitrust probe without fine

Printer-friendly version
Send by email
Published 12 April 2013

Google has formally submitted a package of concessions to European Union competition regulators in a strong signal that the world's No. 1 search engine may be able to settle a two-year antitrust investigation without a fine.

Google first offered proposals at the end of January following a spate of complaints from rivals such as Microsoft that triggered the European Commission's investigation in November 2010.

But the company, which has a market share of over 80% in Europe's Internet search market according to research firm comScore, has now made a formal offer after fine-tuning its proposals following discussions with the EU antitrust authority.

"In the last few weeks, the Commission completed its preliminary assessment formally setting out its concerns. On this basis, Google then made a formal submission of commitments to the Commission," said Antoine Colombani, the Commission's spokesman on competition policy.

"We are now preparing the launch of a market test to seek feedback from market players, including complainants, on these commitment proposals," he said, declining to provide details.

EU: Agreement will be legally binding

EU Competition Commissioner Joaquín Almunia, speaking in Washington, said on Thursday (11 April) that whatever agreement is reached will be legally binding.

"I am trying to reach a decision ... that will include legally binding commitments based on the Google proposal," he told reporters.

The US Federal Trade Commission wrapped up a similar probe in early January by concluding that Google did not manipulate search results.

It also extracted pledges that Google would end the practice of "scraping" content from other websites for its products and allow advertisers to export analytical data, but did not take formal, legal action to ensure those pledges would be met - a decision that angered Google's critics.

Almunia brushed aside questions about whether the FTC's conclusions would make it more difficult for his investigators to make a different finding. "This is not creating any difficulty for our investigation," he said.

He also said that there had been no decision made on whether to investigate complaints by Google critics such as Microsoft that Google was guilty of predatory pricing in offering its Android mobile operating system for free.

"We have not yet decided if a formal investigation will be launched or not," Almunia said.

Labels may be the answer

People familiar with the matter have previously told Reuters that Google has offered to label its own services in search results to differentiate them from rival services, and also to impose fewer restrictions on advertisers.

Google spokesman Al Verney said the company continues to work cooperatively with the Commission. A settlement with the regulator would stave off a fine that could reach $5 billion (€3.8 billion), or 10% of its 2012 revenues.

The Commission said Google may have violated antitrust rules by pushing its own services over those of rivals, copying travel and restaurant reviews from competing sites without permission and restricting advertisers from moving to competing services.

The market test is critical to determine whether regulators accept Google's concessions or demand more.

In an indication of the pitfalls still ahead for Google, online German mapping service and Google complainant Hotmaps said the concessions must address rivals' concerns.

"hot-map.com will actively partake in the market testing of Google's concessions and only accept a settlement if competition is fully restored in a future-proof manner," said Michael Weber, the company's chief executive.

Frustrated by the slow pace of the Commission's investigation, rivals such as British price comparison site Foundem, US online sites Expedia and TripAdvisor, and German publishers have already urged tougher action.

British online mapping company Streetmap, another Google complainant in the EU investigation, took its case to the British court on Thursday, citing damage incurred as a result of Google's practices.

EurActiv.com with Reuters

COMMENTS

  • The current, too "subtle" flagging of Google content is also helping online criminals. The modus operandi is always the same: they set up phone numbers to a call centre, and take out various ads as "Yahoo / Facebook / (whatever) technical support". As these ads show up above search results, end users think the phone numbers represent genuine technical support, and during the calls they willing part with logon details and allow the criminals to install remote control software, after which they are blackmailed into credit card payment by being locked out from their own machines.

    Google is very quick at removing such ads once notified, but that is always AFTER the event and those criminals typically have several of those ads on the go. Making it clearer that these are ads would help.

    By :
    Peter
    - Posted on :
    23/04/2013
Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt speaks at a promotional event for the Nexus 7 tablet in Seoul September 27, 2012 (Photo: Reuters).
Background: 

Google’s is embroiled in two key disputes with the European Commission.

In November 2010, the Commission launched an antitrust investigation into allegations that Google had abused a dominant market position in the internet search market.

The probe followed a complaint by Google’s rival Microsoft, and remains subject to negotiation between the Commission and the search giant.

The second probe relates to data privacy matters.

formal letter sent on 16 October 2012 by 24 of EU's 27 data regulators plus those of Croatia and Liechtenstein called for Google to make changes to its new privacy policy to protect the rights of its users.

This followed EU Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding's publication in March2011 of new privacy rules for personal data held on the Internet, including a "right to be forgotten" that would allow users to permanently delete data held by companies.

More on this topic

More in this section

Advertising

Sponsors

Videos

InfoSociety News

Euractiv Sidebar Video Player for use in section aware blocks.

InfoSociety Promoted

Euractiv Sidebar Video Player for use in section aware blocks.

Advertising

Advertising