Among the issues that the consultation paper addresses are:
- The basic principles and features of the patent system, such as transparency and cost-effectiveness of the application procedure, as well as dispute resolution
- Possible additional features, besides "unitary, affordable and competitive patent and greater legal certainty" that stakeholders would expect from the Community patent
- Bringing the European Patent Litigation Agreement and Community Legislation such as Council Regulation 44/2001 and the Directive on the Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights in line with each other
- Approximation and mutual recognition of national patents
- Importance of different elements of the patent system
The central issue of the costs incurred in obtaining a community patent, accounted for mainly by translation costs, is not directly addressed by the consultation.