This year's Euroconference, held on 15 May, brought together familiar faces in the small world of Brussels-based EU trade associations.
The crisis is sparing no-one and business associations themselves have to live through difficult times, compounded by the twin challenges of austerity at home and strong competition from overseas.
But most speakers at the event said Europe could seize the opportunity to emerge stronger from the crisis.
Economists from the Bruegel think tank and the European Commission pointed to how well the austerity programmes had been implemented to date in Ireland, Portugal and Greece. Economic growth, while sluggish – if not negative – in most parts of Europe, continues to storm ahead in Germany and countries like Poland.
Moreover, the European Central Bank has proved a capable firefighter in the crisis, increasing its assets to flush the economy with liquidity.
Political leadership on the other hand has been weak, most speakers agreed.
- Future of aviation: A quieter ride
- Risk vs. hazard in policymaking
- Air Quality 2013
- European Business Summit
- Nutrition and Child Survival
- Corporate Governance
- Mobile and Broadband
- The Internet: Europe's future growth driver?
- Europe's Industry : Halting the Decline
- Plastics and PVC
- Energising Tomorrow's World
- Resource Efficiency
- Eye on Active Ageing
- SME's Access to Finance
- Free Trade for Growth
- Future of European Healthcare
- Industrial Policy
- Electric Vehicles
- Industrial revival
- Greening aviation
- Products for a greener planet
- Rio+20: Charting a green future?
- Access to Energy
- Energy efficient buildings : Powering Europe
- Vulnerable Consumers
- Delivering water in the 21st century
- Reviewing Europe's alcohol harm strategy
- Greening the CAP
- Water Policy
- Broadband: driving recovery?
- Data protection
- ICT: Fuelling the economy
- Europe's electricity grids: Joining up the dots
- Countdown to the European Citizens' Initiative (ECI)
- Innovation and the Digital Economy
- Cloud Computing
- Jobs and Growth
- EU budget 2014-2020
- EU-Ukraine Relations
- Rural Energy
- Small Business:driving EU growth?
- Solar Power
- Resource efficiency: towards a circular economy