The food stakeholders have identified the sector’s future research challenges, one of which is to make the healthy choice the easy choice for consumers with products combining health and pleasure.
The Food for Life stakeholders have published their interim Strategic Research Agenda for the coming 15 years. A specific focus in the strategy has been given to contributing to the initial phase of the EU’s 7FP (2007-2013).
The stakeholders have identified seven research challenges, or drivers for innovation, to be addressed in order to reach the platform’s objectives:
- making the healthy choice easy for consumers (products combining demands for health and pleasure)
- delivering a healthy diet,
- developing value-added food products (e.g. superior quality, quick to prepare, cheap)
- assuring safe foods that consumers can trust,
- achieving sustainable food production,
- managing the food chain,
- communication and consumer interaction.
The European Technology Platform (ETP) Food for Life, bringing together food sector's private and public stakeholders (universities, business, food research centres, actors in the food chain) was launched in July 2005 under the umbrella of the Confederation of Food and Drink Industries of the EU (CIAA). The Vision document for 2020 and beyond for the Food for Life was published at the same occasion.
The aim of the platform is to develop innovative production processes and to deliver novel and improved food products, which, together with recommended healthy diets and lifestyles, could have a positive impact on public health and the overall quality of life.
In general, the platform aims to strengthen the European-wide innovation process, improve knowledge transfer and stimulate European competitiveness across the food chain.
- A wide national, regional and web consultation on the interim Strategic Research Agenda is currently under way.
- The final Food for Life Strategic Research Agenda and implementation plan are expected to be published in March 2007.
EU official documents
Business & Industry
- The Confederation of Food and Drink Industries of the EU:ETP - European Technology Platform “Food for Life”