See the project brochure
This exchange programme aims at reinforcing the skills of media professionals, bridging between different European media to speed up innovation in the media sector.
Challenges facing the media sector in Europe
This project is responding to the needs identified by the #Media4EU research project. According to this analysis, media professionals often fail to communicate across “silos” (commercial, editorial, communication, social media, IT) and across borders.
Within most traditional media, top management lacks the skills to lead fast changes across editorial & commercial boundaries. They need to deepen their social media knowledge and to support the shift towards online and events products.
European media networks have been created recently, but they often do not include a social media strategy and sustainable revenue models. Moreover, most media companies do not have enough resources to set up their own skill-building exchange and innovation programmes.
A solution to boost media innovation
Stars4Media will encourage innovation through skill-building activities between media outlets with a common interest (“like-minded”). This project will deepen key skills: use of social media, video pitch, reporting techniques, online advertising, cooperation and negotiation with social media platforms, sponsoring, and public funding bidding.
The participants will be young media professionals (“rising stars”) from editorial, communication and commercial fields, with solid anchoring in their organisation. This exchange programme is divided in 5 steps:
- Creation of “thematic waves”: pairing like-minded media around a common topic
- Pre-selection of the participants based on profile and compatible ideas
- Match-making workshop to identify cooperative projects between paired media (1 week)
- Exchanges of media professionals between pairs of European media (2 months on each side)
- Development of innovation projects, sustainable business models, and follow-ups
This project was voted by the European Parliament into the 2018 EU budget, demonstrating its relevance and quality (see list of moral supporters, including 15 MEPs). Following the bidding procedure, EU-funded exchanges might start around summer 2018.
What is a “thematic wave”?
A thematic wave is an exchange round focused on a specific topic, around which paired media will produce contents and develop projects.
Different thematic exchanges will bridge like-minded media, and each wave will concentrate on a specific area: same politics, same technology field, same target group or same topic. For example, thematic waves can be set up on climate change, development policy, Eastern Europe, data and investigative journalism.
Why sponsoring a thematic wave? What are the benefits for your organisation?
We offer organisations and companies the opportunity to sponsor a thematic wave on a chosen specific topic or interest. You could finance one of the first waves, and become a pioneer.
- Increased visibility on key European media and awareness of your brand by exposing your logo in the published outputs
- Promoting your topic in the European policy agenda
- Reaching key target audiences: media professionals and policy makers
- Supporting journalists that write on a given niche and thus ensure sustainable coverage of this topic
Follow and contact us:
Read the Media4EU blog on Blogactiv
And sign up for our monthly newsletter to get timely updates our projects!
Christophe Leclercq, Fondation EURACTIV Chairman (email@example.com)
Nathalie Bargues, #Media4EU Project Assistant (media4EUassistant@euractiv.com)
Media stakeholders and experts involved: see the list of moral supporters