MINDSET is a project co-financed by DG JUST. The concept has been developed due to the gap between EU legislation in the field of non-discrimination based on ethnic origin and the implementation on the ground at national level. Indeed, a lack of awareness of rights, bodies and redress mechanisms; unclear understanding of what discrimination really means and insufficient media coverage are a reality in our societies. Particular focus will be given to Romania, Italy and Sweden, allowing for an interesting geographical representation and the possibility to highlight differences in national implementation of non-discrimination law.
Media will play a vital role in raising awareness of these issues. Thanks to the complementarity of the consortium members, the objectives which will be reached throughout the project lifecycle are:
– Contribute to the clarification and understanding of the specific terminology related to the non-discrimination field and promote its accurate treatment by the media sector thanks to experts in that area;
– Raise awareness on non-discrimination legislation and its application at national level also by showing best practices of implementation of EU and national law;
– Promote the role and efforts of Equality Bodies in the three focused Member States, enhance cooperation amongst them, as well as the involvement of civil societies in the fight against discrimination;
– Provide easily accessible information for and train young people outside the legal sector.
The consortium is composed of EURACTIV (coordinator), via its Brussels, Berlin and Paris offices, EURACTIV Romania (ADB) and JEF (Young European Federalists). In addition, the Migration Policy Group, as subcontractor, will support the implementation of the project by providing legal expertise.
A set of complementary activities will be implemented.
– Communication and awareness-raising thanks to editorial coverage and multimedia products (articles, reports, video, interviews…) and a social media campaign
– Expert Reports: Independent Report on non-discrimination law; Mapping of Regional Attitudes in Romania; Italy and Sweden, Survey of the Needs of Equality Bodies and CSOs;
– Events: Media Training for journalists in order to use the correct terminology; Workshops for the Needs of Equality Bodies and CSOs.
The project started on the 01/04/2020 and will be carried out over a period of 20 months
Find out more about the activities linked to MINDSET here.
Disclaimer: “The content of this publication represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility. The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains”.