ITALY: Entire country on lockdown

In Italy, the government has put the entire country on lockdown in an unprecedented move, extending restrictions already adopted in the north last week to cover the entire country. As of Monday (9 March) evening, the number of COVID-19 cases topped 9,172 and the death toll jumped from 97 to 463.

The stricter measures will include travel restrictions throughout Italy and a ban on all public events, in an attempt to halt the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

Under the new measures, school closures already in place in Italy will be extended until 3 April and all sports events in Italy, including the football league Serie A, are suspended too. Exceptions to travel restrictions will be allowed only for proven professional needs, exceptional cases and health issues.

All forms of mass gatherings in public places or places open to the public are prohibited all across the national territory, says the emergency decree which will enter into force on Tuesday (10 March).

“Habits must be changed for the good of Italy. We will succeed only if we adapt to stricter rules,” PM Giuseppe Conte told reporters on Monday (9 March).

(Gerardo Fortuna | EURACTIV.com)

Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe
Contribute