As Spain’s number of confirmed COVID-19 cases increased to 78,797 with a death toll of 6,528, Spain was braced for more stringent lockdown measures as authorities try to soften the blow of the coronavirus pandemic on the country’s already overstretched intensive care units following a third consecutive daily death toll record Sunday, EURACTIV’s partner EuroEFE has reported.
To stay in the loop on COVID-19 matters in Spain, have a look here.
While the head of Spain’s public health emergency department, Fernando Simón, had said that intensive care units (ICUs) in six regions were already at maximum capacity and that three other regions were rapidly approaching their limit, 14,709 people had recovered from COVID-19 in Spain, meaning the recovery rate currently sits at around 18.7%. Overnight (from Saturday to Sunday), 332 people had been admitted to ICU, bringing the total number of patients in units across the country to almost 5,000, Simón stressed.
Besides, government spokeswoman María Jesús Montero and employment minister Yolanda Díaz told a press conference after the extraordinary cabinet meeting on Sunday (29 March) that workers would still be paid and could make the days by the end of the year, EFE has reported. “We’re talking of a period of eight workdays, nobody loses their rights, workers will have to comply with the hours stipulated in their contracts,” said Díaz.
A delivery of medical gear, including gloves, masks and gowns, worth €628 million ($701 million), as well as 1,539 ventilators, will be arriving in Spain from China this weekend and throughout the week, Montero said. (EuroEFE.EURACTIV.es)