President Zoran Milanović attended on Tuesday a commemoration to mark the murder in August 1995 of six elderly ethnic Serbs in the village of Grubori in the aftermath of military operation Storm that ended Serb rebellion and said it had been a moral disaster that caused harm to Croatia.
This year, for the first time, members of the Croatian government attended the commemoration, while Deputy PM Boris Milošević, who represents the Serbian community, attended the celebration of Operation Storm on 5 August, and was also present at Grubori.
The new government led by Prime Minister Andrej Plenković appears to be taking a huge step toward reconciliation between Serbs and Croats in Croatia.
War Veterans Minister and former war general, Tomo Medved, said in Grubori that Croatia must build a society founded on justice and truth, and that honouring innocent victims contributes to the establishment of trust and mutual respect.
“For the first time, joint commemorations are happening and policy is being created that will represent a stable, permanent relationship for dealing with the past,” the Serbian president’s special envoy Veran Matić said in Grubori. (Željko Trkanjec, EURACTIV.hr)