Worried about the increasing health effects of environmental pollution, the Commission adopted a Communication outlining a European strategy for Environment and Health on 11 June.
The Strategy for Environment and Health was designed jointly by three Directorate-Generals: Environment (Wallström), Research (Busquin) and Health (Byrne). The strategy (with the acronym “SCALE”) is based on 5 key elements:
- it will be based onscienceand look at the complex interactions between different pollutants and the body;
- it will focus onchildren: the Commission will launch pilot actions on pollutants with specific relevance to children, such as dioxins, heavy metals and endocrine disruptors;
- it wants to raiseawarenessfrom stakeholders and the general public;
- EU legislationwill complement national laws and be reviewed to reflect children’s special situation and needs;
- actions taken will be constantlyevaluated.