The European Parliament adopted an own-initiative report on the implementation of the 1994 packaging and packaging waste directive on 14 November. MEPs called for the introduction of producer responsibility for waste packaging and the use of a policy mix of increasing recycling targets, setting targets for prevention and internalising environmental costs in the price of packaging.
The report by rapporteur Dorette Corbey (PES, Holland) looked
at the implementation of the 1994 packaging waste directive in the
Member States and concluded that, although most countries have met
the recycling targets, most of them were too late in doing this.
MEPs followed most of the recommendations of the
- introduction of producer responsibility for preventing the
production of packaging waste;
- introduction of a binding general target on the reduction of
the amount of packaging waste going to landfills;
- increasing recycling targets for the period 2001-2005;
- introduction of targets for prevention and re-use per
- internalisation of environmental costs of packaging in its
- the Commission is asked to ensure that representatives from
consumer and environmental organisations are better involved in
standard setting via CEN, the European Committtee for