In 2000, the world set six education targets to be met by the end of next year. But despite advances over the past decade, “not a single goal will be achieved globally by 2015,” according to a Unesco Global Monitoring Report.
The goals included:
- Expanding and improving childcare and education;
- Providing free, high quality and compulsory primary school education for all;
- Ensuring equitable access to learning and life skills for children and young adults;
- A 50% improvement in adult literacy, especially for women;
- Eliminating gender disparities in education by 2005 and achieving gender equality; by 2015;
- Ensuring that recognised and measurable learning outcomes are achieved by all.