Turkish police on Monday (31 October) detained the editor-in-chief of the newspaper Cumhuriyet – a thorn in the side of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan – as Ankara widens a crackdown on opposition media.
The newspaper, which had published revelations embarrassing for the government, said at least a dozen journalists and executives were detained in early morning raids.
The detentions come after Turkish authorities fired more than 10,000 civil servants at the weekend and closed 15 pro-Kurdish and other media outlets, the latest purge since July’s failed military coup.
Cumhuriyet‘s editor Murat Sabuncu was detained and police were hunting for executive board chairman Akin Atalay, the official news agency Anadolu said.
The Istanbul prosecutor said an investigation had been launched into allegations the secular daily’s output was “legitimising” the attempted putsch.
Demonstrators at the paper’s headquarters waved copies of Monday’s edition, which bore the headline: “Again, a coup against opposition”.
An exiled Turkish journalist, a Crimean Tartar activist and two Yazidi victims of the Islamic state group were shortlisted Tuesday (11 October) for the European Parliament’s prestigious Sakharov human rights prize.
Cumhuriyet said an arrest warrant was also issued for its former editor-in-chief Can Dundar, who was sentenced to jail in May for allegedly revealing state secrets in a high-profile case that triggered alarm about the state of press freedom in Turkey.
The newspaper had accused the government of seeking to illicitly deliver arms bound for Islamist rebels in Syria. Erdoğan had warned Dundar he would “pay a heavy price”.
Dundar is now believed to be in Germany after he was freed earlier this year pending an appeal.
He described Monday’s actions as the “storming of the last fortress” on Twitter as Turkish media said his house in Istanbul was also raided.
The International Press Institute said an arrest warrant was issued for one of the rights group’s board members, Kadri Gursel, who also wrote for Cumhuriyet.
‘Media cannot be silenced’
The latest detentions comes as authorities press on with a massive crackdown over a failed bid to overthrow Erdoğan by a rogue military faction.
The controversial trial of two well-known Turkish journalists enters its second day Friday (1 April) in a case seen as a test of press freedom under the increasingly autocratic President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Turkey has been under a state of emergency since the coup, blamed on exiled Turkish Muslim cleric Fethullah Gülen.
The Istanbul prosecutor said in a statement quoted by media that the newspaper and its owner the Cumhuriyet Foundation were being investigated over whether they committed crimes on behalf of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) and the Gülen movement.
Tens of thousands of civil servants, soldiers, police, judges and teachers have been suspended, fired or detained since the attempted coup, a purge that has come under fire from Western leaders and rights groups.
A crowd of up to 70 people, including members of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) gathered outside Cumhuriyet‘s Istanbul offices to protest the detentions.
Carrying copies of the newspaper, demonstrators shouted: “The day will come, AKP will be brought to account,” referring to Erdoğan’s ruling Justice and Development Party.
“A free media cannot be silenced,” they chanted.
Monday’s edition of the paper criticised the government’s weekend announcement of the closure of several media outlets as well as the suspension of university rector elections.
A Turkish court took the trial of two prominent journalists charged with espionage behind closed doors today (25 March) and accepted President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan as a complainant, in a case which has drawn international condemnation.
Erdoğan is set to pick the winners from a pool of candidates selected by the nation’s education authority. CHP leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu visited Cumhuriyet‘s Ankara office where he
CHP leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu visited Cumhuriyet‘s Ankara office where he said that if “we showed resistance to pressure on the media together, we can defend democracy in Turkey”.
Council of Europe chief Thorbjorn Jagland criticised the raids, saying it was “highly questionable if the raid against Cumhuriyet can be justified as a proportionate measure, even under the state of emergency”.
Reacting to the raids, German government spokesman Steffen Seibert and the French foreign ministry urged the protection of press freedom.
European Parliament president Martin Schulz said the “ongoing massive purge” seemed to be “motivated by political considerations, rather than legal and security rationale”.
Cumhuriyet cartoonist Musa Kart meanwhile described his detention as “ridiculous”.
“Until today, I have drawn hundreds and thousands of caricatures of the (Gülen movement) and PKK… What is happening is ridiculous. You will not scare anyone with this repression.”
While Turkey insists it is acting within the rule of law, organisations defending free speech have accused the government of violating human rights.