EU leaders remain split on bail-out

Sarkozy_04.jpg

Meeting in Paris on Saturday (4 October), the leaders of France, Germany, Britain and Italy called for closer coordination between governments when bailing out banks. But they failed to forge a real common EU response to the financial turmoil.

European governments should avoid taking action that could have an “undesirable impact” on rival banks in other countries, the ‘Big Four’ stressed in a joint statement, adding that the frantic case-by-case approach pursued so far was not helping to restore confidence in the increasingly agitated banking sector. 

The plea can be seen as a swipe at Ireland, which had earlier unilaterally offered to fully guarantee all bank debts, a move described by EU Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes as “discriminatory”.

Germany follows Ireland

But while the four leaders pledged to “work cooperatively and in a coordinated way within the European Union,” the statement appeared to carry little weight, with Germany announcing the very next day that it intended to follow Ireland’s example. 

On Sunday, the German government announced it will fully cover more than €500 billion in private deposit accounts. “Finance Minister Peer Steinbrueck said today that people in Germany will not lose a single euro of their savings because of this crisis, and that statement applies as of today,” said his chief spokesman, Torsten Albig. 

The government also announced a €50 billion rescue plan for the teetering Hypo Real Estate bank, while Belgium and Luxembourg announced they had found a buyer for troubled financial group Fortis in BNP Paribas. 

The idea is to prevent any major European financial institution from going bankrupt. But the four European leaders are reluctant to commit to any EU-wide bail-out plan on the scale of that approved in the US. 

Stability pact and EU state aid rules to be interpreted more flexibly 

Instead, they called on their counterparts to agree upon EU laws outlawing state subsidies for private companies, to be “applied in a flexible manner”. They also called for new EU-wide rules on bank deposit guarantees, closer supervision of bankers’ pay, further cooperation between regulators and a review of EU accounting rules, which are accused of deepening the crisis by encouraging stock-market speculation against banks. 

The four heads of government also concluded that the European economy was facing “exceptional circumstances” and asked for the application of the stability and growth pact – the eurozone rules requiring that national budget deficits be limited to 3% of their GDP – to “reflect” this situation. 

For the French government, this could represent a silver lining amid the crisis. Even before the financial meltdown, France had been struggling to meet a commitment to balance its budget by 2012 (EURACTIV 12/02/08). 

The conclusions of the Paris mini-summit will now be examined by finance ministers from all 27 EU governments at their meeting in Luxembourg tomorrow (7 October), then at a summit of leaders in Brussels next week. 

Read more with Euractiv

Subscribe now to our newsletter EU Elections Decoded

Europe must adopt a coordinated approach to the financial crisis, International Monetary Fund (IMF) chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn stressed after the meeting, warning countries against acting purely in their own interests. "What counts above all is coordination and the will not to act each for himself, as we have seen a little bit in some European cases," he said, nevertheless acknowledging that it was harder for Europe than the US to come up with a single response due to the structure of the EU. 

French President Nicolas Sarkozy's top adviserClaude Gueant, insisted that a "common European plan" had come out of the summit. "What is certain and what the citizens of France and Europe must know is that their (banking) establishments won't be left in difficulty," he told Europe 1 radio on Sunday. 

But Daniel Gros, director of the Centre for European Policy Studies, a Brussels think-tank, told the Financial Times that the summit declaration would fail to reassure markets because the four leaders remained too focused on protecting national banks and deposits: despite the fact that, according to him, it is the cross-border lending market that is "broken" and requires a Europe-wide solution. "They don't see that they will sink or swing together," he warned. 

Financial markets across the globe went into a tailspin following the US sub-prime mortgage crisis in early August 2007, forcing central banks to make massive cash injections to keep the system rolling and fend off a possible liquidity crisis. 

While Europe already had a taste of the crisis imported from the US last year with the rescue of the British mortgage lender Northern Rock (EURACTIV 10/10/07), until recently the turmoil had largely remained contained to the UK, with no large continental groups affected. 

But the crisis stormed into mainland Europe last week, forcing governments to rush to salvage Belgo-Dutch bank and insurer Fortis (EURACTIV 29/09/08), German lender Hypo, British lender Bradford & Bingley (B&B), Franco-Belgian bank Dexia and some of the main Irish banks (EURACTIV 30/09/08). 

Last week, the Irish government offered state guarantees to the financial sector in an operation which was valued at a potential €440 billion, over twice the country's GDP. While the move was labelled unfair competition by EU Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes, other countries, including Greece and Germany, are now following suit in a scramble to save their financial sectors. 

  • 7 Oct. 2008: Meeting of the EU finance ministers (ECOFIN) in Luxembourg
  • 15-16 Oct. 2008: EU summit in Brussels

Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe