West’s Ukraine strategy ‘completely failed’, says Slovak PM ahead of Paris summit

Content-Type:

News Based on facts, either observed and verified directly by the reporter, or reported and verified from knowledgeable sources.

In a viral video on Sunday, Fico claimed that the West was "opting for a total escalation of tensions and further unlimited military and financial support for Ukraine". [EPA/OLIVIER HOSLET]

Ahead of an extraordinary Ukraine support summit in Paris on Monday (26 February), Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico slammed the West’s broader strategy towards the conflict, claiming that it had opted for a “total escalation of tensions”.

At the invitation of French President Emmanuel Macron, more than 20 heads of state are expected to gather in Paris on Monday to discuss how to mobilise Europe’s production capacities to support Ukraine as the war enters its third year.

Ahead of the talks, Fico stressed that the Paris summit was “a confirmation that the West’s strategy towards Ukraine has completely failed”.

On Sunday (25 February), Fico announced he would be convening the Slovak Security Council, together with the government and coalition parties, due to the “chilling” nature of the topics to be discussed in Paris.

Fico claimed the West was “opting for a total escalation of tensions and further unlimited military and financial support for Ukraine” in a viral video.

Slovakia announces halt of military aid to Ukraine

Slovakia is stopping military aid to Ukraine, the country’s freshly sworn-in pro-Russian Prime Minister Robert Fico announced on Thursday (26 October) in a move likely to cause tensions with his European counterparts at an EU summit in Brussels later in the day.

Several NATO and EU member countries were considering sending their soldiers to Ukraine based on their bilateral agreement, he claimed.

“Proposals for the direct physical presence of soldiers from EU and NATO member countries in the territory of Ukraine, albeit only on a bilateral level, will lead to a significant escalation of tensions if implemented,” he stated.

According to Fico, the Paris talks would be a “battle meeting” to “prevent the direct participation of Slovak soldiers in the war in Ukraine”.

His comments stood in sharp contrast with that of Western countries who so far have drawn a red line at sending ‘boots on the ground’ to Ukraine and no European country has stated their intentions to do so.

Fico noted that his country will focus on civilian and non-lethal assistance, and would continue to help Ukraine with de-mining activities.

Slovakia has stopped military aid to Ukraine a day after Fico was sworn into office last October, fulfilling a campaign promise, but since then has softened its stance towards Kyiv and not blocked any EU decisions on the matter.

Fico is still expected to sign a joint statement, prepared by the Elysée, stating that the situation in Ukraine would threaten not only the sovereignty of one nation but of European stability as a whole. 

Picked up by Kremlin media

Opposition and security experts have criticised the statements, warning that Fico is spreading conspiracy theories and echoing Russian propaganda.

“It is one thing to inform the public, and it is quite another to spread a hoax and cause the public to fear that in Paris, the allies are going to declare war on Russia and forcing Slovak soldiers to be deployed in Ukraine,” retired general and security analyst Pavel Macko told Euractiv Slovakia. 

Fico’s comments before the Paris summit were also picked up by the pro-Kremlin news agencies.

Russian state news agency TASS quoted the Slovak prime minister as saying he would be afraid that the West would make the worst decision on Ukraine.

[Edited by Charles Szumski/Nathalie Weatherald/Alexandra Brzozowski]

Read more with Euractiv

Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe