Prosperity, solidarity, security, and a stronger voice in the world to be the basis for action in 2007.
Alongside a list of 21 concrete strategic initiatives, the main policy actions to be adopted over the next 12-18 months are identified in the programme. The Commission asserts that the document will take the better regulation initiative to a new phase, by identifying simplification initiatives and withdrawals of pending legislation. In addition, a list of priorities for communicating with citizens is included for the first time.
The top priorities for 2007 are as follows:
- Energy – the first Strategic Energy review of Europe will be issued;
- a Green Paper on climate change and perspectives for co-operation post-2012;
- modernisation of the European economy;
- better management of migration flows;
- a White Paper on health strategy;
- a strategy proposal on social services;
- the annual enlargement strategy paper;
- a renewed market access strategy;
- a reinforcement of the Neighbourhood Policy;
- progress in negotiations with major strategic partners such as Russia, China and Ukraine.
EURACTIV plans to follow-up with more in-depth coverage of the Commission’s work programme. Any input or positions are welcome and can be sent to the editor-in-chief.