By Alexandra Brzozowski | Euractiv Est. 3min 21-03-2024 (updated: 25-03-2024 ) Content-Type: News News Based on facts, either observed and verified directly by the reporter, or reported and verified from knowledgeable sources. Smoke rises in the background following an Israeli air strike in Gaza City, northern Gaza Strip, 21 March 2024. [EPA-EFE/MOHAMMED SABER] Euractiv is part of the Trust Project >>> Languages: Français | DeutschPrint Email Facebook X LinkedIn WhatsApp Telegram In a breakthrough, EU leaders called on Thursday (21 March) for an “immediate humanitarian pause leading to a sustainable ceasefire” in Gaza and urged Israel not to launch a major ground offensive in the southernmost city of Rafah. “The European Council calls for an immediate humanitarian pause leading to a sustainable ceasefire,” the bloc’s leaders said after meeting in Brussels. The upgrade in language comes after Hungary, for the first time, was able to subscribe to the statement. Following the attack on 7 October by Hamas, the EU has struggled for a united response to Israel’s military operation. EU member states such as Belgium, Ireland, and Spain have called for a ceasefire since October. Belgian Prime Minister Alexander De Croo told reporters in Brussels that “gradually other countries joined our position and the fact that the US have adopted [this position] too played a part.” Staunch Israel supporters such as the Czech Republic and Hungary had previously blocked such a call, for fear it would undermine the bloc’s support for Israel’s right to self-defence. In February, all EU foreign ministers – except Hungary’s – endorsed a call for an eventual ceasefire in the besieged Gaza Strip. But some countries, such as Germany, have since shifted their position on calling for a cease-fire. On Thursday, EU leaders “urged the Israeli government not to undertake a ground operation in Rafah, which would worsen the already catastrophic humanitarian situation and prevent the urgently needed provision of basic services and humanitarian assistance.” They further pointed out that more than one million Palestinians are “currently seeking safety from the fighting and access to humanitarian assistance there.” Speaking to reporters after Thursday’s summit, European Council President Charles Michel and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen warned about escalation of the conflict in the Middle East. “We believe in the international law, we believe in the international humanitarian law, and that’s why everything must be done to convince, to make sure that there is a real possibility for more humanitarian access,” he told reporters. The United Nations and humanitarian organisations have been warning of the risk of famine, with EU leaders calling for “full, rapid, safe and unhindered humanitarian access into” Gaza. EU leaders said they were “deeply concerned about the catastrophic humanitarian situation in Gaza and its disproportionate effect on civilians, particularly children, as well as the imminent risk of famine caused by the insufficient entry of aid into Gaza.” A conclusion approved by all EU27 leaders also calls for “the unconditional release of all hostages and the provision of humanitarian assistance.” The United States on Thursday (21 March) will propose a resolution at the UN Security Council for Friday calling for a cease-fire in Gaza and an Israel-Hamas hostage deal. Previously, the US has repeatedly vetoed UN Security Council resolutions to end the war, which makes the step the first significant one in nearly six months since the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza began. [Edited by Rajnish Singh] Read more with Euractiv EU leaders agree to open membership talks with Bosnia EU leaders gave the political green light on Thursday (21 March) for opening membership talks with Bosnia and Herzegovina but also made clear the Western Balkan country would have to undertake more reforms before the actual talks could start.