The European Commission announced on Sunday an additional €7million euros in emergency aid for the Philippines, after typhoon Haiyan caused massive destruction across the country earlier this month.
With almost 4000 people dead and up to 13 millions affected, EU officials have said that the typhoon was likely to be the biggest humanitarian aid challenge this year, together with the Syrian civil war.
The extra financial help brings to €20 million the Commission’s assistance to the Philippines.
‘Our assessment teams reach the affected areas the day after the typhoon passed. The day after we have got an assessment team, we announced 3 millions Euros in assistance, followed by 10 million to support reconstruction, and an additional 7 million on Saturday when I visited the field’, said EU Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response Kristalina Georgieva.
EU financial help is channelled through organisations operating in the affected areas, including the Red Cross.
After visiting the Philippines during the weekend, EU Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva said that international help is now flooding in. The new batch of EU aid will mostly go towards food assistance, clean water and emergency shelter.
‘Now, our immediate priorities are to get food to all who need it, everywhere, to collect the data about every people but also animal, because if it is not done quickly there will be a risk of epidemics, third to provide health services to those injured but also to people who are being left homeless during rain season’, said EU Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response Kristalina Georgieva.
As one of the strongest ever recorded, typhoon Haiyan hit the Philippines on November 7th causing wide-spread damage. The UN estimates that over 10% of the Philippine population are affected and the death toll continues to rise.