The European public looks with much expectation to the European Food Safety Agency (EFSA) as Geoffrey Podger, the executive director, takes up office on 3 February 2003.
The EFSA will have the following main tasks:
- At the request of the Commission, European Parliament and the Member States, the EFSA is to provide independent scientific advice on food safety issues, including related matters, such as GMOs and nutrition to serve as a basis for risk management decisions;
- Advise on technical food issues to underpin policy development and legislation related to food chain;
- Collection and analysis of data on dietary and exposure information relevant to any potential risks necessary to monitor safety along the food chain in the EU;
- Identification and early warning of emerging risks;
- Support the Commission in crisis situations;
- Commununication to the general public.