In an unprecedented move, Italy’s government has put the entire country under lockdown extending restrictions already adopted in the north last week to cover the entire country.
The stricter measures will include travel restrictions throughout Italy and a ban on all public events, in an attempt to halt the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
Exceptions to travel restrictions will be allowed only for proven professional needs, exceptional cases and health issues.
Under the new measures, schools closures in Italy already in place will be extended until 3 April. All sports events in Italy, including the football league Serie A, are suspended too.
All forms of people’s gathering in public places or places open to the public are prohibited all across the national territory, says the emergency decree which will enter into force as from Tuesday (10 March).
“Habits must be changed for the good of Italy. We will succeed only if we adapt to stricter rules,” Italy’s PM Giuseppe Conte told reporters on Monday (9 March).
As of Monday evening, the number of COVID-19 cases topped 9,172 in Italy, while the number of deaths also increased by 97 to 463.