The European Parliament has asked the Commission to speed up the process of setting up a European Digital Library, which aims to become a one-stop shop for accessing literary and scientific works online.
Digital libraries are essential for enabling scholars and students to access the rapidly growing number of sientific publications worldwide, as well as ensuring the accessibility of Europe’s cultural heritage. In a 2005 Communication on digital libraries, the Commission found that in order to meet those requirements, digital libraries must meet the triple challenge of on-line accessibility, digitisation of analogue collections and preservation and storage.
In a resolution adopted on 27 September 2007, the European Parliament supported the Commission’s two-year old Communication. Parliamentarians stressed, however, that the European Library should “not aim to disseminate content exclusively, but to coordinate access to digital works” in order for it to become “a single, direct and multilingual access point for the European cultural heritage”.
They recommended that the European Library “must initially concentrate on the potential offered by text material that is free of rights” and invited “all European libraries to make available to the European Digital Library works that are free of rights which they already hold in digital form”. MEPs stressed that “common standards based on existing formats” should be used in order to facilitate access.
- The 11th European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries took place on 16-21 September, in Budapest.
Second DELOS Conference on Digital Libraries will take place on 5-7 December 2007 in Pisa (Italy).
EU official documents
- [FR](27 September 2007) [DE]
- Commission:Communication 'i2010: Digital Libraries'(30 September 2005) [FR] [FR] [DE]
- Commission:Staff Working Document 'Digital Libraries'(30 September 2005)
- DG Information Society:i2010 Digital Libraries
- DG Information Society:Digital Libraries - Key documents
- Commission:European digital libraries : Frequently Asked Questions(30 September 2005)
- DG Information Society:eContentplus Portal
- DG Culture:European Culture Portal [FR] [FR] [DE]
- IST Programme"DELOS - Network of Excellence on Digital Libraries"
- Cordis / Information Society Technologies:eEurope digitisation - The Lund Principles and the Lund Action Plan
- Cordis / Information Society Technologies:The Lund Principles(4 April 2001) [FR] [FR] [DE]
- Cordis / Information Society Technologies:Action Plan on coordination of digitisation programmes and Policies(4 April 2001) [FR] [FR] [DE] [FR] [DE] Revised version
- Europeana -la contribution française à la Bibliothèque Numérique Européenne
- BnF:La Bibliothèque numérique européenne en dix-sept questions
Think tanks & Academia
- L. Candella, D. Castelli, and others:Setting the Foundations of Digital Libraries(D-Lib Magazine, March/April 2007)
- Karlsruher Virtueller Katalog(Allows simultaneous search in more than 60 international libraries and book-sellers' catalogues)
- DigBib.Org: Die freie digitale Bibliothek
- Google Book Search
- European NAvigator- European integration and the EU institutions, the history of a united Europe
- Virtuelle Allgemeinbibliothek