BiH genocide survivors slam Russian spokesperson’s Srebrenica statements

Zakharova made the controversial statement after US President Joe Biden again called Russian President Vladimir Putin a war criminal and commented on footage of the massacre in the Ukrainian city of Bucha. [Shutterstock/Nr-stock]

Genocide survivors in Bosnia and Herzegovina and BiH Foreign Minister Bisera Turković strongly condemned the statements of Russian foreign ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova that appear to imply the 1995 Srebrenica genocide was staged.

Zakharova made the controversial statement after US President Joe Biden again called Russian President Vladimir Putin a war criminal and commented on footage of the massacre in the Ukrainian city of Bucha.

In a Facebook post, Zakharova rejected the accusations that Russian troops had committed mass murders of Ukrainian civilians in Bucha and implied that the Srebrenica genocide had been staged.

“I could also add the directors of the production in Srebrenica,” she said.

“The way in which some officials of the Russian Federation have been denying court-proven and internationally recognised facts about the genocide in Srebrenica in their public statements for quite a while now is absolutely unacceptable and a historical falsification,” said Turković.

The Mothers of Srebrenica association also reacted to the statement on Tuesday, N1 reported.

“With her statement on the genocide in Srebrenica, Marija Zakharova shows that she and the government in Russia not only support those who committed genocide but also prove that Russia also had a role in denying and belittling the victims. All this was proven by the veto from 2015,” the Mothers of Srebrenica said, referring to Russia vetoing a UN Security Council resolution that would have condemned the Srebrenica genocide.

Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe