Romanian president: no-confidence vote is nothing to worry about

the government is currently undergoing a crisis after a censure motion was filed against it last week. [EPA-EFE/ROBERT GHEMENT]

The no-confidence vote against the government has been postponed, and President Klaus Iohannis says the political situation in Bucharest is nothing to worry about.

“The government situation is not worrying at all. We have a government that goes further,” Iohannis told a news conference during an official visit to Switzerland.

But back home, the government is currently undergoing a crisis after a censure motion was filed against it last week.

Parliament has now decided that the motion will not be debated until the Constitutional Court gives a verdict on an alleged conflict between the executive and the legislative vaguely related to the motion.

The government of Prime Minister Florin Citu complained that the parliament had not immediately informed the government about the motion after receiving it as stated in the regulation and instead waited until the standing bureaus of both parliament chambers decided on a calendar for debates.

However, because the standing bureaus could not decide on a calendar due to a lack of quorum caused by the absence of opposition socialists from PSD in these meetings, the presidents of both parliament chambers called for a joint meeting on Thursday for the reading of the motion.

The motion was read, but debates and the vote have been postponed until the Constitutional Court rules on the matter. But a verdict cannot come sooner than 15 September, and may even be pushed back a few more weeks.

Meanwhile, USR PLUS representatives either resigned from the government or were dismissed by Citu, meaning the executive no longer has a majority in parliament. The prime minister continues to claim ‘business as usual’ although only PNL and UDMR officially support the government, and PSD may possibly be doing so covertly.

(Bogdan Neagu | EURACTIV.ro)

Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe