On Wednesday (26 August) the Italian government held a summit attended by ministers and regional governors on the reopening of schools. For now, the country’s education ministry has published the details of many of the safety protocols for the new school year, though several points are yet to be clarified.
Education Minister Lucia Azzolina said that over 70,000 more teachers and teaching assistants had been hired to cope with the reopening. According to Emilia Romagna’s governor, Stefano Bonaccini, there is a risk of “chaos” in school transport, though the issue was not resolved over at the summit and the government said it was awaiting further proposals from the regions.
Experts are divided also over whether schools should enforce mask wearing for pupils. Milan infectious disease hospital’s chief, Massimo Galli, said that it was “impossible” for pupils to wear masks for five hours straight. (Valentina Iorio | EURACTIV.it)