EU states join criticism of Putin’s arms-treaty withdrawal

Several member states added their voices to the US and NATO’s “disappointment” on 14 July 2007 over Russian President Vladimir Putin’s suspension of Russia’s participation in a key arms-control treaty.

The Kremlin announced on 14 July that President Vladimir Putin had signed a decree suspending Russia’s application of the 1990 Conventional Forces in Europe (CFE) treaty.

The CFE treaty, which came into force in 1992, is one of the key post-Cold War security Accords in Europe. It limits the deployment of tanks and troops in countries belonging to NATO and the former Warsaw Pact in eastern Europe, and lays down measures aimed at “confidence-building, transparency and co-operation between member states“.

The Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) also expressed its concern, and called on all signatories to the treaty to look at the underlying causes of Russia’s decision.

Russia had previously particularly objected to US plans to place elements of a missile-defense shield in Poland and the Czech Republic.

The US State Department said it was “disappointed” by Russia’s announcement. Washington “remains committed CFE’s full implementation … (and) look forward to continuing to engage with Russia and other parties to create the conditions necessary for ratification by all 30 CFE states,” a statement read.

NATO spokesman James Appathurai said: “It’s a disappointing move, a step backwards. NATO considers this treaty to be an important foundation of European security and stability.”

German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, speaking in Lithuania during a tour of the Baltic countries, said that the treaty was a central element in the international architecture of disarmament. “That is why we obviously regard Moscow’s announcement with great concern.”

“In the next few days we will see what concrete measures will be taken because of this announcement,” he said, adding that he hoped Russia would go no further than suspend the treaty.

Polish Foreign Ministry spokesman Robert Szaniawski said that Warsaw regretted the decision, but added: “Taking previous announcements into account, this decision is not a surprise and doesn’t have immediate consequences.”

Romania’s foreign ministry also expressed its “disappointment.”

Finnish Defense Minister Jyri Hakamies, speaking on 15 July, said that the decision was negative from a Finnish point of view. In remarks to Finnish broadcaster YLE, Hakamies said tension between the major powers was never good but added the announcement by Moscow should not be over-emphasized.

In Oslo, Norwegian Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Store Saturday expressed “regret” over the announcement by Moscow.

Meanwhile, former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev has indicated that he believes the US and NATO forced Russia’s hand: “The decision of the head of state was an urgent call… to constructive dialogue and the implementation of the treaty,” he told Interfax news agency.

The decision was an “entirely justified response to the question and not an emotional outburst,” said Gorbachev, who signed the original treaty in 1990.

He cited the American anti-missile shield and NATO members’ failure to ratify an updated version of the treaty as justifications for the suspension.

“It would have been completely incomprehensible if Russia was to continue fulfilling the treaty when the other sides had not even ratified it,” Gorbachev added.

Read more with Euractiv

Subscribe now to our newsletter EU Elections Decoded

Subscribe to our newsletters

Subscribe