EU Farm Ministers will discuss Common Agricultural Policy and Common Fisheries Policy reforms, as well as organic farming, genetically modified organisms and animal welfare on 23-24 September.
The main topics of the Agriculture and Fisheries Council of 23-24 September are:
European action plan on organically produced food and organic farming
- The Council will hear a progress report from the Commission on the preparation of a European action plan on organically produced food and organic farming.
- A formal Commission communication could be presented for discussion at the Council session scheduled for 16-19 December.
Genetically modified food and feed
The main discussions will focus on:
- The legal basis to be used for the regulation;
- Thresholds set for traces of unauthorised GMOs.
Mid-term review of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP)
- The Council will hold a policy debate focused mainly on the arable sector following a first in-depth examination of the Commission’s communication.
Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) reform:
- The Council will hold a policy debate on the main elements of the proposed reform of the CFP with the aim of providing the Presidency and the Commission with the necessary input for further deliberations.
- The Council will hold a public debate about whether a short maximum journey time should be introduced for slaughter animals and for other animals; and whether better and more effective monitoring possibilities should be introduced.