CSR Europe has invited key stakeholders to explore the concept of sustainable trade and what it means for the business community.
The speakers identified a number of issues that influence the sustainability of international trade, including:
- Increased competition due to globalisation and ensuing trade tensions;
- Strong pillars for global economic governance (WTO, IMF, World Bank) but lack of a strong international environmental or social pillar;
- The current ‘in-between’ situation of developing countries in the multilateral trading system (incorporation vs. marginalisation);
- Focus on trade vs. local capacity building;
- National competitiveness vs. social policy objectives;
- Women working in non-permanent employment or performing long working hours;
- The role of business in tackling the ill effects of globalisation;
- The effects of corporate lobbying.